Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Burnin' in Hell (and other easy topics for dinner conversation this Thanksgiving)

Nicky! I knew you had it in you... I only hammer on you so much because I expect a lot out of you.

Mr. Kristof hits on the Left Behind series in his latest column. The Left Behind series is one of those huge phenomenons on the far right that they all know about like the back of their hand but the rest of us know virtually nothing about... kinda like the code phrase of "Dred Scott" meaning "Roe v. Wade."

Anyway, as Kristof informs us, this series is hugely popular with the evangelicals because, well, they get a "Get out of Hell FREE" card:

The "Left Behind" series, the best-selling novels for adults in the U.S., enthusiastically depict Jesus returning to slaughter everyone who is not a born-again Christian. The world's Hindus, Muslims, Jews and agnostics, along with many Catholics and Unitarians, are heaved into everlasting fire: "Jesus merely raised one hand a few inches and . . . they tumbled in, howling and screeching."
Nicky appropriately points out the inherent zealotry of this view point and how it is rather hypocritical to denounce similar beliefs of Muslim zealots, etc. Of course, the evangelicals howl at such comparisons and delicious irony because... well... they are right and the Muslims are wrong... don't you see!?!

No, I don't.

Look, I am a Christian... I believe that the way to salvation is through my belief in Jesus Christ as savior (although I also share some traditional Catholic beliefs in that good works are important as well). But I don't necessarily think that someone who doesn't hold those beliefs is definitely going to hell... it just isn't my place to say, and quite frankly I don't understand why so many people are so quick to judge.

I do believe that I should profess my beliefs and witness, but that I should mainly do so via my actions and by being open to discussion of the topic. But when you start blatently telling people that they are simply wrong in matters of faith and belief and that they are riding the Hell Express, you simple defeat your purpose. Very few people are going to listen to you, and many more are going to get turned off to the idea of Christianity as a whole.

I know what is right for me, and I think it is possible to share that with people without telling them that they are wrong... it is not a binary situation. Why can't evangelicals accept that? I think ministry would be a lot more effective that way...

P.S. Getting back to part of the original topic, it appears that the publisher of the Left Behind series has picked up a new competitor series which asserts that Revelations was all about Nero and early Christiandom... LaHaye and Jenkins refuse to debate the issue with their new rivals. Interesting.

1 Comments:

At November 29, 2004 at 10:40 PM, Blogger what about buckley said...

Dan, Fundies have to witness and do so with fear, yelling and irritation because if they didn't, they would never hit the "my people will be persecuted" part of their prophecy. The ones I have experienced have tried exhaustedly to irritate me into submission. Naturally, they lost. Bitterly.

The other thing is that BBCs (Bible Believing Christians, as they now call themselves) maintain that acts of goodwill and kindness get you nowhere. Theoretically, following that model, so long as Hitler had Jesus in his heart, that crazy asshole was heading straight past Saint Peter and into the Holy Land. My newest favorite wave of crazytalk from Fundies is when I challenge them on specific issues (water pouring forth from the stomachs of believers, women not speaking in church, etc.) they tell me that you can read the bible but you won't understand what it REALLY says until you are a full fledged believer. Sorry, I call bullshit on that one.

As for the Left Behind series, a couple of items. One, it's all about the newest Jesus the fundies are rolling out, and that's Avenger Jesus. Second, I hope to God that Left Behind happens sooner rather than later, because I would LOVE to be free of the irritating people who are planning to be scooped up and moved on. Think of the cheap land! Freedom to roam! No more wayward mormons! Unless they had it wrong too....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home