Monday, April 04, 2005

The Game

I am a UNC student, so that pretty much means I think the Heels will rule. Hence, I don't think discussion on how awesome the team is, how the Illini is overrated, etc. etc. is going to be very interesting considering my obvious conflict of interest.

However, I would like to say one thing: How did Deron Williams all of a sudden turn into Ron Artest-like defensive whiz in the minds of the sportswriters? Sure, Salim Stoudamire and Francisco Garcia did very poorly, and Deron is a smart and strong point guard, but I watched the Louisville game and all I could think about were three things:

1) How tenative Garcia was... no passion or energy... no will to win. Not hard to defend that at all.

2) How slow Williams is... super slow.

3) A corollary to #2: how McCants would eat Williams alive provided he comes to the game with his head screwed on straight.

McCants is as big as Williams, as strong or stronger, and a lot quicker... sportswriters have been giving this match-up to the Illini and crowing about how McCants will get the "Deron Treatment" but as far as I am concerned, that match-up is in the Heels favor. The only guy in the country who can stop McCants is McCants' mind... if he misses his first couple shots and/or dribbles the ball too long looking for an angle around the help defense, he can get in a mental funk. But Deron won't be able to handle him straight up.

I might get burned by that statement, but that's the way I see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home