Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Cute Trick on Social Security

Take a look at this on the new Trustee's report...

I haven't seen a single analysis of the numbers and assumptions they used, so they could be right in line with previous years... but I doubt it. That's not just due to the direction of the change either; I just don't have faith in anything the administration tells me that has a possible political angle.

Anyway, just think about it: the directionality matters quite a bit here. Even if it is one year, that still makes the headlines and talking points "Social Security is getting worse!!!" At the same time, it not only forces more defense and push-back from the left, but is also small that they would have trouble showing that a more objective take would actually make the picture better... if they did so, they will be painted as a partisan.

Similarly, Medicare, a program that the administration doesn't want you looking at, got "better" in the report. Gee, how nice!

Again, I am reserving judgment, but based on past experiences I would say that it is probably worse than I even expect...

Update: More here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home